BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Two Cents

I've been thinking about the Apostle Paul. He spoke of a 'thorn in the flesh' that he was given in order to keep him humble (2 Corinthians 12:7-9).

I've heard a lot of speculation about what this 'thorn' may have been. Some say that it was some sort of health issue. After all, Dr. Luke traveled with him. I've also heard that it was because he was nearly blind from his encounter with King Jesus on the road to Damascus. After all, no one comes away from an encounter like that unscathed.

I was thinking about what this 'thorn' could have been. Not that it is all that important in the big picture. But while everyone is speculating, I may as well throw in my two cents.

When the Apostle Paul said anything about himself, the one negative thing that he talked about the most was his sin. (Romans 7:19-24) I believe the 'thorn' he talked about was his sin. He wanted to be free of his sin once and for all. (2 Corinthians 12:8 and Philippians 1:21-26)

God said that His grace is sufficient. That His power is made perfect in weakness. Our sin is our greatest weakness, it is where God's grace is most abundant (Romans 5:20-21).

Paul had an encounter with Christ Jesus that very few (only a handful of men in all of history) had ever experienced. An encounter that was so significant that it left Paul with a passionate hatred for his sin. An absolute disdain for his own flesh. He, through his encounter with the King of Glory, was able to see sin the same way God does, and it sickened him.

Thank you, Father, for Your grace. That it is sufficient. Help me come to the point of humility that I am able to view my sin as You do.

0 comments: