BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Shivered Timbers

When something big happens....really big...like the unexpected death of a loved one or the loss of a job in the midst of a financial crisis. Something that could shake someone's faith.

What do you say? How do you act?

I have never been good at this. I am emotionally clumsy. I have the gift of being able to fit my foot in my mouth at the most inopportune times.

I liked Job's friends initial approach. (Job 2:11-13) They just sat there with him in silence. I can do that. As long as I don't have to speak. I will have some very deep thoughts and some profound things come to mind, but I can't speak them. I can write them exactly how I think them. Something weird happens when I try to speak them. The thoughts get jumbled up and just clumsily fall out as incoherent babble.

Anyway, we are commanded to love one another (John 13:34-35/15:12-17) and to bear one another's burdens (Galatians 6:2). Thank God for His Holy Spirit. He can speak for us. He can be the one who comforts others through us when we have no idea what to say. He can also shut us up when we are about to say something that is not at all helpful.

The book of Job is one of my favorites. There are so many lessons in there. My favorite biblical quotes come from the book of Job. If you haven't read it, you should. Especially if you are going through something.

Something big happened to me once. My first wife left me. I don't have the words to describe what that felt like. It crushed my spirit. I had a long talk with my pastor. He suggested that I read Job. I did. It helped a lot!

Two of my favorite quotes come from Job: "Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him" (Job 13:15a) And after Job had been through so much, on the other side of it, he told God: "My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you." (Job 42:5)

I guess that is why it is so important to love one another and humble ourselves and serve one another. In doing so, we can help our friends cling to God and experience His peace (Philippians 4:6-7) instead of having them feel that they are alone in what is happening and becoming angry and bitter toward God and those who were supposed to be there for them.

Thank you, Father for Your Holy Spirit. Forgive me for not acting when I knew I should and for speaking when I knew I shouldn't. Please teach me how to love and how to obey. Teach me how to help my beloved brothers and sisters bear their burdens. And to yield to Your Holy Spirit when He wants to speak. How to, as Job did, place my hand over my mouth. And, also as Job, to bless Your name...no matter what.

0 comments: