BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Hidden

The church my wife and I attend has a men's group that meets once a month. We usually gather at someone's house and eat supper together, then have a devotional which is lead by one of the guys.

I really enjoy these gatherings. The food is always good, and some of the men in the group are among those I most admire in life.

The latest meeting we had was very nice. As usual, the food was excellent, and the company even better. Our devotional was a short study from the book of Colossians. It was about putting away the old ways and putting on the new. We discussed ways we could improve and some spiritual disciplines we could practice more, or start practicing.

Of particular interest to me was a statement the Apostle Paul made in chapter 3 of Colossians. In verses 2 and 3, he said, "Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God."

My focus went directly to the word 'hidden'. ...your life is hidden with Christ in God. I kept turning that phrase over in my mind again and again.

My bible's commentary pointed to Colossians 2:3. So I checked it out.

In Colossians 2, Paul said that he wants our hearts to be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and knowledge of God's mystery, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

My attention was drawn to that word again...hidden.

All these wonderful things. Understanding, assurance, love, knowledge. Hidden in Christ, hidden with Christ in God. And my life is hidden there too! Wow!

None of these things can be taken away from Christ because they are all in God! Even my/our life!

Eternal security in Christ Jesus. Our life cannot be separated from Him. It is hidden with Him in God. Along with understanding, knowledge, assurance. This makes us free to love one another and celebrate our common salvation. Celebrate the understanding of 'the mystery': Our Savior!

We are in Christ. We are part of Him, and he is part of us.

Thank you, Father, that our life is hidden in You with Christ. Help us to always remember that, and to always deny any desire or temptation to behave contrary to what we have become in You.

0 comments: