BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, January 9, 2012

Feelings

John 13:34-35

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

As followers of Christ, we often talk about loving one another. It is, after all, a commandment of King Jesus. (John 14:15)

Sometimes we will say, "I have to love you, but I don't have to like you." or, "*fill-in-the-blank-name* makes it hard to love them because of how they act."

We are commanded to love one another....as Christ loved us. We need to let that sink in. just as I have loved you...

Why? Why do we have to love one another this way? Jesus gives the answer in the commandment. He said that "by this all people will know that you are My disciples."

In John 17, Jesus is praying. Part of that prayer is that we be united in love, that we be as one....just as He and the Father are one. Why? So that the world will believe. (John 17:20-21)

When we start walking in the flesh and in our pride, we seek our own selfish desires. We treat and talk about others according to how we feel about them. In behaving this way, we are working against the very agenda we claim to be advancing.

Father, thank You for so great a salvation. Please help me to realize that the importance of my obeying Your commandment to love is so much bigger than how I feel about someone. That in my obedience, You grant me the privilege and deep honor of being part of Your plan of salvation.

0 comments: