BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Love Letter From A Broken Heart

I've been reading the book of Malachi.

I almost had to stop reading. So much of what God had to say brought some of my own behavior to center stage. But that is what God's word does, isn't it? Shows us a reflection of who we are...who we really are when nobody is looking, or where nobody can see in the darkest recesses of our inner most being.

He starts by saying "I have loved you, but you say 'how have You loved us?'"

Wow. I had to stop there. How often have I said that? In my actions and in my words. In my willing, premeditated sin. In the hearing and ignoring of the promptings of the Holy Spirit. In my hesitation, even reluctance, to trust in Him.

"How have You loved me?" Can there be a more arrogant question? A more foolish question? The tone of this book reminds me of Isaiah 29:13.

I continued on through Malachi 1. God starts talking about the sacrifices. I felt a little relieved. After all, we don't do that anymore, do we? But wait...

Something they said sounds hauntingly familiar. Malachi 1:13. "What a weariness this is..." Wow.

That sounds like me on almost any given Sunday morning.

More to come....I have yet to start on chapter 2....dang it.

Thank You, Father, for Your word. Thank You for the mirror it holds up, so that I may see myself as You do. So that I may see the person You want me to become. Please help me to look closely at the reflection, and never close my prideful eyes to the light of Your Truth. You are indeed a Great King! Forgive me for not honoring You as such with my whole heart.

0 comments: