BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, July 24, 2010

No Thanks Necessary

I've been reading through the book of Luke. Jesus had a lot of teaching that takes a while to digest.
I was in chapter 17 of Luke's gospel yesterday. One passage stood out. One that has never stood out to me before. Here's what it said:

"Will any one of you who has a servant plowing or keeping sheep say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come at once and recline at the table'? Will he not rather say to him, 'Prepare supper for me, and dress properly, and serve me while I eat and drink, and afterward you will eat and drink'?
Does he thank the servant because he did what was commanded?
So you also, when you have done all that you were commanded, say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.'" (Luke 17:7-10)

I've learned that when a passage sticks out like that, the Holy Spirit is teaching. It's time to listen.

Here's what I have learned so far:

1) I sometimes behave as if I deserve some sort of extra credit for doing things to help others or for sharing my faith or a bit of testimony with someone. What is really happening is that I'm just doing regularly assigned work. (Eph. 2:10)

2) The eternal and more meaningful reward for my work won't be received here, so it is silly to seek any kind of recognition here.(Matthew 6:1-6)

3) I am the servant in this scenario, not the Master.

God is AWESOME!

0 comments: